Named one of Nashville’s best criminal defense lawyers
With more than 35 years of experience, David Raybin heads the criminal defense section of our firm, which includes criminal trials, criminal appeals, parole hearings, and civil rights litigation.
David has been named the Best Criminal Lawyer in Nashville by Best Lawyers in America, and listed among the Best Criminal Lawyers in TN by Tennessee Business magazine.
A regular commentator on local legal subjects, David often deals with prominent cases you may have read about in the news. In addition to cases in the trial courts, David has successfully handled a number of significant criminal appeals throughout Tennessee.
A prolific writer, David has authored numerous articles and publications. He wrote the book Tennessee Criminal Law, which has been cited hundreds of times by Tennessee courts and relied on by judges and attorneys throughout the state.
David’s criminal defense representation includes cases concerning murder and other homicides, sexual assault, drugs, domestic violence, white-collar fraud, and computer sexual image cases. David also handles cases involving students arrested at local universities—such as Vanderbilt, MTSU, Fisk, Lipscomb, Belmont and TSU.
- J.D., University of Tennessee, College of Law, 1973
- B.A., Virginia Commonwealth University, 1971
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- United States Supreme Court
- All Tennessee Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Courts in Tennessee
- Best Lawyers in America
- Best Lawyers in Tennessee
- Martindale-Hubbell (Highest Rating: AV)
Prior Legal Experience
- Office of the Attorney General, Nashville, Tennessee, 1974-1977
- Office of the District Attorney, Nashville, Tennessee, 1977-1984
Legal Boards and Commissions
- Chair, Tennessee Supreme Court Advisory Commission on Tennessee Rules of Criminal Procedure, 1982–1988
- Member, Tennessee Sentencing Commission (Chaired Criminal Code Revision Subcommittee), 1986–1995
- Member, Tennessee Supreme Court Advisory Commission on Tennessee Rules of Post Conviction Procedures, 1991–1995
- Adjunct Member, Tennessee Supreme Court Advisory Commission on Tennessee Rules of Civil Procedure, 1996–2000
- Member, Tennessee Supreme Court Advisory Commission on Tennessee Rules of Practice and Procedure, 2001–2010
- Member, Governor’s Task Force on the Use of Enhancement Factors in Criminal Sentencing, 2004–2006
- Tennessee Bar Association Justice Henry Award for Outstanding Legal Writing, 1983
- Tennessee Bar Association Justice Henry Award for Outstanding Legal Writing, 2005
Publications, Articles & Selected Briefs
- Blackwell v Haslam, Brief (Pardon and Second Amendment)
- Improving Attorney-Client Communications: Fifty Tips
- Search and Seizure; “Knock and Talk” Doctrine (brief)
- Criminally Negligent Homicide (Brief)
- Expungement of Arrest Records Tennessee Bar Journal - February, 2008
- State v. Gomez: Tennessee Sentencing Law Violates Sixth Amendment, Tenn. Bar Journal - December, 2007
- View more publications, articles and briefs
Counsel in Significant Appeals
- State v Wilson, Tenn. Crim. App. 2011 (suppression of blood test in DUI case)
- Bernard v. Metropolitan Government of Nashville/Davidson County, Tennessee, Tenn. App. 2010 (police officer retirement benefits).
- State v. Mims, Tenn. Crim. App.2010 (pretrial diversion for attorney)
- Atkinson v. State, Tenn. App. 2010 (prisoner suicide)
- Brown v. State, Tenn. Crim. App. 2010 (ineffective assistance of counsel)
- State v. Headley, Tenn.Crim. App. 2009 (pretrial diversion for sheriff)
- View more appeals
Membership in Legal Associations
- American Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (Board of Directors)
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association
Contact David Raybin and the law firm of Hollins, Raybin & Weissman for a confidential consultation of your case today at 615-256-6666.