Dedicated Nashville criminal defense lawyer
A Nashville native, Ben began his legal career with Hollins, Raybin & Weissman after graduating from Vanderbilt University Law School in 2010.
While at Vanderbilt, Ben was Articles Editor for the Vanderbilt Law Review, in which he published a Note on federal criminal law: “Objection: Your Honor is Being Unreasonable!” Law and Policy Opposing the Federal Sentencing Order Objection Requirement, 63 Vand. L. Rev. 235 (2010). The article has been cited by two federal courts and in more than a dozen briefs.
From 2011 to 2012, Ben took a one-year hiatus from the firm to serve as a law clerk for Judges Jane B. Stranch and Gilbert S. Merritt, both of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. As a law clerk, Ben assisted the judges with dozens of cases in several areas of law—such as criminal (state and federal), civil rights, personal injury, employment, contracts and constitutional.
In his practice at the firm, Ben has defended numerous clients against misdemeanor citations as well as misdemeanor and felony arrests, and has also worked on several civil cases involving personal injury and civil rights matters. Ben has appeared multiple times in both television and print news giving interviews on trending legal cases and issues. He has briefed and argued cases before the Tennessee Supreme Court and the Tennessee Court of Appeals.
Prior to law school, Ben attended the University of Chicago—graduating with honors. He is a graduate of the TBI Citizens’ Academy and the Metro Police Citizens’ Academy, in which participants learn firsthand about law enforcement procedures, structure, and investigation. Outside of work, Ben enjoys coaching the USN mock trial team, cheering the Tennessee Titans to victory, attending art shows featuring the work of his talented sister Jaime Raybin, and traveling with his wife Sarah.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle and Eastern Districts of Tennessee
Professional Bar Association and Memberships
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Featured in TBA Today, June 20th 2014
- Featured in The Tennessean: Walmart Case, May 25th 2013
- Featured in The Tennessean, March 23rd 2013
- Featured in The Tennessean: Villegas Case, March 4th 2013
Past Employment Positions
- Hollins, Raybin & Weissman, Associate, 2010-11, 2012-
- Judge Jane B. Stranch, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Law Clerk, 2011-12
- Judge Gilbert S. Merritt, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Law Clerk, 2012